PayPal is the most recognizable form of online payment (without revealing your credit card) — that’s because they’re supported on Ebay and other sites and have strong dispute resolution as well.
Privacy to Fight Identity Theft
PayPal is designed from the ground up to be one of the safest ways to send money online. Unlike other financial institutions, our payments are sent without sharing financial information. In fact, PayPal never shares your financial information with or sells it to merchants.
How it works?
- Your sensitive financial information is securely stored on our servers.
- When you use PayPal to pay online, you provide only your PayPal email address.
- The merchants/retailers receive payment from PayPal without ever seeing your financial information.
Feel secure with powerful encryption.
Information is automatically sent with a high level of data encryption.
Stay vigilant with automatic email confirmation.
To help safeguard you against identity theft, every PayPal payment is followed by an email confirming your transaction.
Monitor your sensitive information.
Online Safety Essentials contains the Identity Protection Guide to help you avoid identity theft.
We also ensure you are Buying Safely with:
Prevention to Help Stop Fraud: We stop problems before they happen.
Protection for Your Purchases: We provide a safety net in the unlikely event something goes wrong.
Prevention to Help Stop Fraud
We help shield you with behind-the-scenes countermeasures so you can securely send money online.
How it works?
As a leader in security technology, we use state-of-the-art fraud prevention to help stop cyber crime.
24/7 Transaction Monitoring
Our team of over 2,000 specialists worldwide includes former law enforcement officials who work with agencies around the world to help protect you from fraud and identity theft. Our experts will:
- Contact you immediately if we suspect fraud in your account.
- Work with authorities to shut down fraudulent websites.
Cutting-Edge Fraud Models
Every transaction is reviewed by industry-leading, proprietary models that help weed out fraudulent activity.
PayPal Verification System
Many account holders have Verified their accounts and successfully established their identity with us. Find out more with our Verification FAQ.
How you can prevent fraud.
- Take precautions to avoid cyber crime by following Tips for Online Shopping.
- Learn about identity theft, spoof emails, and other online threats. Visit Online Safety Essentials.
We also help ensure you are Buying Safely with:
- Privacy to Fight Identity Theft: We let you shop without giving your credit card or bank account numbers to merchants.
- Protection for Your Purchases: We provide a safety net in the unlikely event something goes wrong.
Protection for your Purchases
We can help protect your purchases anywhere you shop and pay with PayPal. Just in case your item doesn’t arrive or if it’s significantly different from its description, we can help get all your money back.
How It Works
If you run into a problem with your purchase, here’s what you should do:
- Step 1: Go to our Resolution Centre and open a dispute. (Note: Your dispute must be raised within 45 days of the payment date).
- Step 2: Communicate directly with the seller and try to resolve the dispute amicably. If you’re not satisfied with the seller’s response, you can escalate the dispute into a claim. (Note: Your claim must be filed within 20 days of raising the dispute).
- Step 3: We’ll review the claim, and if we decide in your favour, we’ll refund the full value of your payment, including original postage costs*.
Tip: If your purchase was made from a seller outside of your country, it may take longer for your item to arrive. Before you file a dispute or a claim, make sure you’ve left adequate time for delivery which could take several weeks, depending on where the seller is located.
How do I qualify?
- Claims made must be for physical goods that can be shipped
- Purchase was made with PayPal as a payment method
- Full price of item was paid in one single amount via PayPal
- Your PayPal account must be in “good standing”
What’s not covered?
- All vehicles
- Licenses and access to digital content
- Airline flight tickets
- Real estate
- Businesses for sale
- Prohibited items on the “PayPal Acceptable Use Policy”
Other eligibility requirements and exclusions apply. See terms and conditions.
*If you win a claim on an item that’s found to be significantly different from what was described, you may be required to return the item to the seller and pay for the return postage cost.
How We Help Protect Sellers